Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Another of my recipes

I thought i would share another of my recipes with you. Even though it is spring here in Australia, you wouldnt think so. Its cold and raining. Which is a perfect day for Pea And Ham Soup. I like to make this in the slow cooker or crock pot and I find its perfect for days like today when we have a busy evening planned.
This recipe serves the 4 of us with left overs.
Pea & Ham Soup
In your Slow Cooker you put
2 Stalks of Celery diced
1 Onion diced
1 large carrot diced
1 garlic clove crushed or finely chopped

Then into a seive put 250g of yellow split peas and 25og of green split peas. rinse well and add to the slow cooker.
I use bacon for the recipe but you can use bacon hocks, i find them a bit too fatty.
Roughly chop approx 500g of bacon and add to slow cooker.
Add 2 or 3 chicken stock cubes and fill with water to just below the rim of the pot. I usually go to about 1 inch blow the inner rim.
Add salt and pepper
turn on Auto or low and let cook for hours. I tend to put it on around 10 -11am ready for tea around 5.30 -6pm
give it an occasional stir if you like, if its getting too thick you can always add more water or stock
When ready check for seasoning and serve with crusty bread.

0 comments: